Having burning sensation while urinating. Partner had red and raw vaginal opening. Cause?

Hello My BF Just came to me and mentioned it really hurts him to urniate. It burns.
This started yesterday, then this morning my vaginal opening is red and feels raw.

He and I are exclusively only with one another, and have had no issues before. We have been together now for 4 months and no prior issues until yesterday and today for both.

He has not been with anyone for a year or more before we met and I just divorced and have only been with him since then...but before going out into the dating scene I was checked out by my gyno. and got the all clear and so did my ex husband.

There is no doubt about us being exclusive..

What could cause this..I burn, and itch in that area though not while peeing?

Thank you..
Posted Fri, 21 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 2 hours later
thanks for the query,

Pains during urination is medically called dysuria. Dysuria particularly presents with burning sensation associated with frequent and small quantities of urine. Dysuria is most often due to a urinary tract infection which could be sexually transmissible or not.

Sore vagina is a common symptom of vulvo-vaginitis which is generally caused by an infection which could be sexually transmissible or not.

The fact that you both presents with symptoms that are simultaneously occurring makes it likely that you both are having a sexually transmissible infection.

The cause must not necessarily be due to infections from your previous partners because each of you could develop an infection and transmit to the other. For example; due to poor hygiene or deep vaginal douching, you may develop an infection that your partner can pick up. Also, your partner could develop a urinary tract infection from prolong stay of urine in the bladder that you can pick up as well.

However, you both need to XXXXXXX a doctor for testing and appropriate investigations. For your partner, he will need a urine analysis + culture and urethral smear. For you, you will need a vaginal smear for microscopy, pH, KOH testings etc.

You both do not need to border yourselves, all you both need is to go and see the doctor and follow appropriate treatment accordingly.

Hope this answers your query. If you have more query, i will be glad to help.
Best regards and wish you both a better health.