Having burning sensation on foot. Will it be safe to take eptoin in place of levipil?

How much safe to replace Eptoin 100mg (one at morng after bf & 2 after dinner) by levipil 500gm to avoid the trouble of having burning sensation all d time in both d feet . I find difficult 2 walk even in bare foot in my room. I m aged 60 plus & was taking Eptoin for d last 8 yrs & arrested d frquent seizure prob as advised by local Dr. Phenetoin level within range. BP is under control with Cardace 5 &Neubetea 2.5 & also Diabetic NIDDM since 1989 &taking PIOZ15 + Amaril 1 in morng & Glycephase 1gm aftr dinner.
Posted Wed, 3 Apr 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 28 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Levipil is the trade for a drug called levetiracetam. It is used for treatment of seizures (either on its own or with another anti seizure medications depending on the type of seizures).
It can also be used to treat neuropathic pain which is the burning that you are describing in your feet. Neuropathic pain is altered sensation in any part of the body.
For neuropathic pain it has been shown to be effective at different doses. In one medical study which looked at 3 patients with your type of discomfort, one person responded at 500mg once a day, another needed 500mg twice a day and the third person 1500mg twice a day.

It is known to well tolerated. It would help with any seizures and treat the burning but you and your doctor may not know the dose that would help you initially.
It may have to be adjusted to determine which strength works best for you.

I hope this helps
Follow-up: Having burning sensation on foot. Will it be safe to take eptoin in place of levipil? 15 minutes later
Vrey much thnakful 4 kind advice. I will call u ,as when needed, for further advice.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 7 minutes later
No problem, feel free to contact for any additional information.