Having burning sensation and discomfort below sternum. Having pain after stretching on recliner. Burning from genital areas also. Solution?

May 2014

I have a burning sensation and discomfort just below my sternum and a little to the right. Had it now for a couple of months and it seemed to be after i was stretched out on my recliner. Now it is anywhere and with me most of the time. I can not feel a sore muscle the burning sensation comes from the general area
Posted Mon, 16 Sep 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cardiac and gastric causes to be considered first

Detailed Answer:
Hi Russf,
Thanks for writing in to us.

Pain and discomfort in the area as described by your refers to substernal pain. Few of the causes include acute gastritis, anemia, anxiety, and atrial fibrillation. It would be important to know if you are experiencing the pain at regular intervals and if it is accompanied by palpitations and anxiety. The relation of the pain with respect to food intake and periods of fasting must also be investigated.

At your age, a routine cardiac check up including ECG, echocardiography and certain blood tests related to heart disease is the first step in management. This needs to be followed by an ultrasound scan of abdomen and an upper gastrointestinal endoscopy, to image the oesophagus, stomach and duodenum. Complete blood examination also might be necessary to evaluate hemoglobin levels and possibility of infections.

In the mean while you may decrease smoking, alcohol intake and taking spicy foods for sometime. Avoid fasting for longer periods and have short frequent meals.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back in case of doubts.

Dr Vivek