Having bubbly sounds in stomach and feeling discomfort. Any advice?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have been having bubbly sounds in my stomach that have lasted possibly a week or more. If I push on my stomach it is painful, but not to the extent to where I feel the pain if I don't push on my stomach.. It comes along with discomfort in the abdomen - which makes me feel like I am hungry ALL the time. My urine is kind of cloudy as well.. I have been sexually active. I do take Vyvanse as well and have been for several years. I have been quite stressed out for the past 2 weeks. Also, I have had two pregnancys (4years and 1 year) Any advice?
Posted Mon, 3 Dec 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
The bubbly sounds in the abdomen associated with pain are likely to be due to gas and indigestion associated with acute gastritis commonly seen associated with anxiety and stress.
The cloudy urine could be due to an urinary infection which can be diagnosed on urine examination and needs antibiotics for treatment.
The symptoms you have in mild cases can be managed with dietary and lifestyle changes. Take the following steps to help manage your symptoms:
1. Increase the amount of fluid you drink, especially water. Avoid carbonated drinks and alcoholic beverages.
2. Avoid foods that cause gas, such as beans, broccoli, cabbage, and XXXXXXX The amount of gas that different foods cause varies from person to person.
3. Avoid swallowing air. Swallowing air may increase your symptoms.
4. Eat slowly. Avoid gulping food or beverages. When you rush through meals or eat on the run, you are more likely to swallow air.
5. Chew your food thoroughly before you swallow.
6. Avoid drinking through a straw.
7. Avoid chewing gum or eating hard candy.
8. Do not smoke or use other tobacco products.
9. Keep calm. Tension and anxiety can cause you to swallow air.

The treatment in severe cases, would be with prescription medications (Haloperidol, Reglan, chlor ) which can be provided by your primary care provider.

In the mean time, Use of OTC medications mentioned below can be used to have some relief.

1. Activated charcoal (Charcocaps) , will absorb the excess gas produced. You can start taking Omeprazole for relief.

2. Antacids, such as Di-Gel, Maalox Anti-Gas, and Mylanta Gas, allow gas to be belched away more easily.

3. Food enzymes, such as Beano, which help break down the sugars found in vegetables and grains, can be added to foods.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.