Having breathing difficulty, feeling fatigue, cold and brain fog. TSH 1.55. Chances of hyperthyroid?

Question
I had a tsh of 8 on 11/1 and was on 112mcg synthroid I moved to 125mcg and was feeling better up to wednesday. I woke up thurs and felt really bad with shallow breathing and trembling. I went to the Emergency room on sat and my tsh was 1.55 and all my other blood work normal. I still feel terrible with fatigue and cold and brain fog. Could I have moved to hyperthyroid?
Posted Sun, 16 Dec 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 11 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in. It isnt possible for someone to move from hypothyroid to hyperthyroid unless in rare circumstances. Even then it would be reflected in TSH. Your TSh which was in hypothyroid range has come to euthyroid range after rightly increasing synthroid dose. So in your case you are euthyroid and not hyperthyroid due to thyroxine overdosage. Symptoms you experienced cant be attributed to thyroid. They could be related to anxiety or some other problem. Just because you are hypothyroid doesnot justify attributing every symptim to thyroid problem and a thyroid patient can have different problems unrelated to thyroid. So same is the scenario in your case and the symptoms are unrelated. You consult your family doctor for further evaluation of the cause of symptoms if they persist or recur. You thyroid problem is straight forward and doesn't cause problems of this sort if treated properly and TSh is kept in normal range. So dont worry. Hope this helps.
Shivaprasad