Ask a Urologist   »  

Having bladder pain, burning sensation after using new soap. Blood test cone. What is causing this?

Hi..I had a rather sudden onset of bladder pain and burning after using a new soap. The dip showed + hemoglobin and leukocytes all else is negative...the culture is negative. They started me on Septra. Can I stop after 4 days and is it possible to get a positive dip just from irritated bladder alone. 60 yr F no meds or health problems. Only had one UTI 40 yrs ago. Seems hot flashes are horrible since Septra! Thanks new in town with no doc yet!
Posted Sat, 1 Sep 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 2 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

You seem to have developed Cystitis. Hemoglobin and leucocytes in urine can very well be due to bladder irritation. However, it is reasonable to take antibiotics.

The usual recommended duration of antibitoics would be 5-7 days. Therefore, it is advisable to take the antibiotic for atleast 5 days.

Hope this answers your query.

Do get back if you need any further information.

Dr Kirn