Having black sopts on ankles and lower legs. What cure should be taken?

Black sopts on Ankles and lower Leggs
Posted Sat, 18 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 54 minutes later
Hello there,

Thanks for writing in.

I have seen the images and the spots appear to be the result of pigmentation due to DVT (Deep vein thrombosis). The spots might be present due to leakage of minute amount of blood from the veins into the soft tissues. However, the spots as such don't warrant any cause for alarm.

I hope you are already following the advice mentioned below. If not, please do so.
1. Elevate your lower limbs at night and rest it on one or two pillows. This might provide pain relief as well as reduce the edema/leg swelling.
2. Use compression stockings during the day.
3. Try to lose weight. Eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables like salads etc. Have smaller frequent meals rather than 3 large meals. Avoid junk and fast food, carbonated beverages like coca cola, soda. Have whole grain cereals, whole wheat bread /pasta.
4. Try to do breathing exercises/relaxation exercise.

I noticed a bruise just below your knee. Did it occur spontaneously or was there any trauma ? If it occured spontaneously, you might want to get your PT/INR checked i.e your prothrombin time.; since you are on warfarin(coumadin) which is an anticoagulant(blood thinning) medication. I would suggest that you bring this bruise to your treating physician's notice.

I hope I have answered your queries .I will be happy to answer any further queries you might have.

In case you don't have any further queries, please accept my answer. Any reviews are welcome.

Have a great day.

Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan