Ask a Urologist   »  

Having benign prostatic hyperplasia. Taking tamsulosin. Finding hard to urinate. Prescribed with oxybutinin. Is there any chance of drug interaction?

Excellent

Question
I have BPH and am taking tamsulosin. In the afternoon and evening it becomes harder to urinate but paradoxically the urge is more frequent. I've been prescribed oxybutinin, but I think it sort of does the opposite of tamsulosin.
Is that true?

For some reason the time between midnight and 6:00am is the worst.
Posted Mon, 12 Aug 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 2 hours later

I am dr XXXXXXX and I will try my level best to help you.

As I understand, you are wondering that the drug oxybutinin which is recently prescribed to you for urge urination issue contradicts the effect of drug tamsulosin which you take for BPH.

Well tumsulosin work by relaxing bladder neck muscles and muscle fibers in the prostate itself and make it easier to urinate.

While the Oxybutynin used to relieve urinary and bladder difficulties, including frequent urination and inability to control urination (urge incontinence), by decreasing muscle spasms of the bladder.

They do not contradict each other, more over they work on the different receptors. So no need to worry, both of them works as relaxation agent but at different part.

Hope this will help to understand it better and resolve the confusion.

Thanks for the query and please feel free to contact me in case of any concerns.
Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Having benign prostatic hyperplasia. Taking tamsulosin. Finding hard to urinate. Prescribed with oxybutinin. Is there any chance of drug interaction? 15 hours later
Thank you. So I can safely take both at the same time as prescribed? Again, I have the urge to go frequently, but sometimes (especially at night) it's hard to get the flow going.

I'd like to avoid surgery, but I having the urge every 1 1/2 hours.

Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 4 hours later

Welcome back, to answer your first question "YES" you can take both prescription at same time. The urge will be controlled by oxybutinin up to some extent.

Now about the surgery, I recommend you to go for a surgery its a microscopic surgery known as " TURP" Transurethral resection of the prostate. Which do not have any cut, just they will enter your prostate from your urethra, and will make a passage bit wide so you do not have feeling of retention of urine/fullness of bladder.

Hope it helps, please feel free to contact me in case of any further concern.

Thanks again.
Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX