Having bad cough and cold during pregnancy. Nose and head is blocked. What medicine to take?

Hello Madam, Hope you are doing well. I was consulting you online couple of weeks back. I am 13 weeks pregnant and have a very bad cough and cold. My nose is blocked and head is blocked too. And I have dry cough. I consulted one ENT specialist online and he advised to take Chericof cough syrup. But I read online that this is bad during pregnancy. I am not sure. I cannot see a doctor before weekend. Please can you suggest some help from your experience? 1. Can I take Otrivin nasal drops for congestion? 2. Can I take any lozenges like Strepsils or Alex? 3. Can I take any cough syrup? I am taking home remedies like ginger and hot gargles. Please suggest. Thanks.
Posted Sun, 8 Dec 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Use cough syrup if badly needed;prefer home remedy Detailed Answer: Hi Ms. Banerjee, Very nice to hear from you again and thank you for posting your query. The cough syrup that has been prescribed contains ingredients that come under category C, which means that there is no well-supported evidence of its adverse effects on the baby and needs to be used only if the benefits outweigh the risks. So, if your cough is so severe as to cause pelvic pressure, you should use a cough suppressant. Instead of the three drug combination, you may go for dextromethorphan syrup. Personally, I would prefer simple home remedies to provide relief. Here are some suggestions that I wish to offer- -use a vaporizer with a little turmeric powder or nilgiri oil or vicks vaporub mixed in it. This will help in relieving the head congestion and lets out secretions. -you can use lozenges as needed; better comfort can be had by using warm water to drink and a pinch of pepper powder mixed with every glass of milk that you take. I always ask my patients to use a soup made from pepper powder, dhaniya, red chillies, little tamarind and ginger, for relief from cold and it is very useful. -if you wish to use a nasal spray, you should use a saline spray as it can be used as much as needed and as many times as needed. Otrivin drops can cause rebound congestion after prolonged use, but for occasional use, they are useful. Hope my suggestions have been helpful to you. Please contact if you need any more information. I will be happy to help. best wishes, Shanti.V.
Follow-up: Having bad cough and cold during pregnancy. Nose and head is blocked. What medicine to take? 6 minutes later
Hello Madam, Thank you so much for your reply. Please can you suggest some generic name for the dextromethorphan syrup. I can use it only once a day may be as I cannot sleep in the night due to severe cough. And I am having slight tummy ache due to coughing. Is this coughing bad for the baby? Please let me know.
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: Coughing can lead to raised intra-abdominal force. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing back. There are several brands of generics available. You can choose from the Nicholas-Piramal or the FDC brands; they go by the names Suppressa and Lastuss LA. The tummy ache is due to abdominal muscle strain as a result of coughing. Coughing is not bad for the baby but it causes raised intra-abdominal pressure which in turn can increase pressure on the uterus and this is why cough needs to be controlled. Please do not worry, cough can be controlled easily with the remedies and the cough syrup. Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to contact for further information. I will be ready to help. regards, Shanti.V.