Having axillary lymph enlarged and feel tenderness when pressed. Could this be cancer?

hi i am medical doctor i have axillary lymph enlarged for 9 years i have no other symptoms even i gaining wt very well no fever or any other symptoms i am all the time thinking about i have cancer some were in my body and worry about that this lymph node is static during this 9 years without increase in size and there is some tenderness when i pressed i am eating well and i do all the activity with very good energy
Posted Sat, 14 Dec 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 51 minutes later
Brief Answer: Unlikely to be cancer! Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. It is no surprise that a colleague would always think of the worse possible scenario when faced with such a finding. It has happened to me a couple of times and i perfectly understand your fears and worries. From the information you have provided, this is unlikely to represent cancer. Rarely would a cancerous lesion go on for 9years without any changes or clear signs and symptom to suggest that it is a cancerous or represents cancer. Just to get all doubts out of the way, I will suggest that you get consulted and examined by your primary care physician. Depending on findings, further investigations may be needed or reassurance to relief you of your fears and worries. It is but normal for any structure to hurt when over manipulated. This is simply what must have happened in your case. Be relaxed. get it examined and benefit from a probable face to face reassurance. I hope you find this helpful. Thank you for using our services and please feel free to ask for clarifications or more information if need be. I wish you well. Dr. Ditah, MD.
Follow-up: Having axillary lymph enlarged and feel tenderness when pressed. Could this be cancer? 27 minutes later
thank you for your help just i need to add more information i am not sure the node is enlarge or it just palpable because i am thin i did the exam by my self using my left hand to exam the right maxilla and i felt just one node size less than 1 cm and also before 9 years i examined by my boss he is internal medicine MD and he told me that just viral infection
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: Even more likely not to be. Detailed Answer: A palpable lymph node does not necessarily mean it has increased in size or it is pathological. The size and your body features are not supportive of any abnormal findings to raise the concern about cancers. All the information makes it even more obvious that it is not a cancerous lesion. I will rather suggest that you don't seek any further medical attention unless new symptoms develop. Thanks. Dr. Ditah, MD