Having awareness and reaction time issues with cerebral palsy. Is this due to cognitive clustering?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013
Excellent

Neurologist
Question
I am having awareness and reaction time issues with my cerebral palsy that I think may be due to cognitive clustering. My reaction to pain is delayed and I am unable to react verbally if one of my assistants is accidentally causing me pain. I am wondering of ways to increase my reaction time to danger, and my ability to process things.
Posted Mon, 6 May 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 7 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I would like to reassure you that the current symptoms are minor and do not suggest any serious brain problem.

To improve reaction time and other cognitive functions, several things can be done.

Firstly, brain exercises can be done. This includes solving crossword puzzles, sudoku, reading, writing, etc.

Secondly, any stress or tension issues should be minimized.

Thirdly, overwork or strain should be minimized. Adequate sleep of 7-8 hours per night is extremely important to ensure good brain functions.

Fourth, taking care of the diet is also important. Good foods for you include dry fruits (such as almonds, apricots), grapes, strawberries, fish, etc. Ensuring meals on time is also important.

Lastly, certain medications are also useful. These include piracetam and ginkgo biloba.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad

Follow-up: Having awareness and reaction time issues with cerebral palsy. Is this due to cognitive clustering? 21 hours later
Would ginkgo be contraindicated due to bipolar disorder? What dose should I use? Is it really going to help given that I have CP?

I'm still trying to figure out how to obtain piracetam. My doctor says he knows of no reason to avoid it, but it may not be specific to my issue, and may be hard to obtain. Of the Gingko and the piracetam, do you recommend both or one over the other?

Where do you get your dietary recommendations from? Is there some reading material I can use?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 54 minutes later

Thank you for getting back with more queries.

Ginkgo biloba is safe for you and is not contraindicated in CP. The usual dose of ginkgo is 120-240 mg per day in three divided does. Initial recommended dose is 40 mg three times daily. Benefit may occur even in CP, especially with your newer cognitive problems.

As piracetam and ginkgo both have different mechanisms of action, it may be better to take both. Piracetam and ginkgo are freely available in India.

Regarding good foods for brain, there are various websites you can go through, such as WWW.WWWW.WW OR
WWW.WWWW.WW
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: Having awareness and reaction time issues with cerebral palsy. Is this due to cognitive clustering? 46 minutes later
Good to know about the CP, what about bipolar disorder?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 19 minutes later
Ginkgo is a herb and fairly safe. It can be safely used in bipolar disorder too.

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)