Having asthma from childhood. Stiffness in ankle and shoulders. Shoulders joints paining heavily after taking cold medicines. Advise?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi,i am having asthma from childhood ,stays in bangalore.From the last 8 months i am having pain and stiffness in ankle and shoulders and frequent muscle catch in back.
Also whenver i am taking medicine for cold (Like: Sinarest) my shoulders joints starts paining heavily and some cracking sounds comes ,if i move my hands above my shoulders.
Posted Fri, 6 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
Cause seems to be muscular.

Detailed Answer:

After going through the entire description, I am of the opinion that the cause for
your pain is muscle spasm or tight muscles. The cracking sound you heard upon movement could be due to tight muscles got stretched abruptly.

I suggest you to try gradual stretching exercises and some muscle strengthening exercises to strengthen the muscle around the joint which will helpful to relieve the spasm and its soreness. You can learn these from your orthopaedician or physiotherapist. You can do a hot fomentation and apply a local analgesic gel on the area to relieve the spasm.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and informative and I will be glad to answer any further query.
Please close this discussion, if you do not have any other queries. I would appreciate your reviews about this service.