Having abdominal pain, pain under bottom left rib cage, back pain. Underlying cause?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
ive been having abdominal pain, pain under bottom left rib cage back pain
Posted Wed, 30 Oct 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs examination to detect the cause.

Detailed Answer:
You have mentioned that the pain is located in your abdomen on left side under the ribs.
Structures which are closely associated to diaphragm on left side can cause such pain. These include, Lower lobe of left lung and left sided pleura, Left Lower Ribs, Spleen, Left Kidney and Stomach.

If there has been injury to the muscles over the abdomen, even then there can be pain like you described.

Hence, Ultrasound Abdomen is definitely indicated. Consider getting and X XXXXXXX chest too as lower left lung lesions can lead to similar pain abdomen as in you.

You should see a doctor if the symptoms do not reduce in 24 hours. Till then check if there is an over the counter antispasmodic and proton pump inhibitor- omeprazole available with your pharmacist.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.