Having abdominal pain. Ultrasound showed enlarge spleen. Blood test done. Any solution?

General Surgeon
26 yo male, good physical shape...although heavy drinker past 8 years. Abdominal pain near spleen and radiates up left shoulder. Also have been having pain near liver that radiates to back. Have had 2 ultrasounds and 2 comprehensive metabolic panels done within the last year and a half. The first ultrasound and panel was normal on everything. The second ultrasound was normal on everything except it revealed a moderately enlarged spleen of 11 cms. The second blood tests have showed a 13.5 elevated WBC, and elevated urobilinogen in urine. GP is now doing a blood smear but does not believe cirrohsis is present with normal hepatic panels and Ultrasound. He wants me to do a CT scan tomorrow to further investigate the moderately enlarged spleen. I am 6'3 and 275 pounds. Thoughts? I am reluctant to do the ct because it is pricy.
Posted Wed, 1 May 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 47 minutes later
Moderate enlargement of spleen is described when spleen size is between 11-20cms.
So,as it is 11cms,it can't be considered too abnormal.
Splenic enlargement is due to many causes like Infections,Cirrhosis,metabolic diseases,leukemia's,lymphoma's etc.
Please ask your GP the reason for CT scan.As most of the diseases related to splenomegaly are diagnosed with Blood tests,Ultrasound abdomen,there is no point in going for CT.
But,CT scan is a superior investigation tool.Some additional points will be highlighted.
Please reduce your alchohol intake as Chronic alchoholism leads to many medical problems.
Wish you good health