Having abdominal and ovarian pain, frequent bowel movements. Is it stomach virus or appendicitis?

I have been having abdominal pain since last night. It was a sharp stabbing pain, and cramping, with some frequent bowel movements. However, there has been no bowel movement now for 8 hours or so but the pain is still there. It is more a constant pain, concentrated primarily on the right side of the lower abdomen, with tenderness and pain in the lower right corner (where I associate with my ovary, as I do have ovarian pain at times). There is also some pain surrounding my naval--this is happening simultaneously. Pressing down on the areas near my naval as well as the lower right corner does produce some pain, though not severe pain. I may have a low grade fever, but no vomiting. When I walk the pain seems to reverberate near my naval, and the pain increases sharply when I bend. My daughter just started running a fever, as well, and is now vomiting. I am trying to decide if this is a probable stomach virus or if it could be appendicitis and I should seek medical attention.
Posted Wed, 8 Aug 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 2 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

I have gone through the symptoms you described. The symptoms could be feature of acute appendicitis. You may also develop nausea / vomiting with this fever and pain.

This condition warrants an immediate medical attention. You will need careful physical examination, a blood test - complete blood count and ultrasound abdomen to confirm the possibility. Treatment can either be a course of antibiotic with analgesic or surgery.

I would suggest you to consult surgeon at the earliest to examine and probably do ultrasound and the aforementioned test.

Pain is surely not of gall stones as there is no pain in upper abdomen and radiation to shoulder or upper right sided pain.

I hope I have answered your query. In case of doubt I shall be happy to help you.

Best regards,
Dr. Neelam
Follow-up: Having abdominal and ovarian pain, frequent bowel movements. Is it stomach virus or appendicitis? 7 hours later
I was able to sleep okay last night but still have tenderness and some pain in the naval area and actually in whole lower abdominal area now. But the pain is definitely NOT severe and may be less than it was. Do you still think it is appendicitis? Do I still need medical attention?
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 4 hours later

Thanks for writing in.
Even though the pain is less severe, whole lower abdomen now is having pain.

Appendicitis still can cause dull pain. Only thing which bothers is rupture of appendix causing peritonitis.

To be on safer side, I would recommend you to consult surgeon and rule out appendicitis.

If stomach upset is present then patient usually gets acidity, nausea, loose motions/vomiting.

I hope I have answered your query. In case of any other doubt, feel free to revert back.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.