Having a knee replacement. Have citrobacter koseri in sinuses. Will ciprofloxacin have side effects?

ENT Specialist
i am having a knee replacement operation in3 1/2 weeks and found out today i have citrobacter koseri in my sinuses. the doctor gave me ciprofloxacin for ten days. will this have any bad side effects for th operation?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 5 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. If your doctor's decision to give a course of Ciprofloxacin is based on an antibiotic sensitivity report, it is fine.

2. Though there is an extensive list of side effects of Ciprofloxacin (fluoroquinolones), if you do not have any major disease or current medication, it is a relatively safe antibiotic. The risk from a focus of Citrobacter Koseri infection must be eliminated before your knee surgery.

3. Cartilage and tendon damage is rare with a short course of Ciprofloxacin. It will not delay healing. You still have a couple of weeks between the end of your Ciprofloxacin course and your knee surgery.

4. A few people have an unexplained inborn fluoroquinone toxicity. This may not be a problem if you have had Ciprofloxacin before.

5. Hence I would summarize that it is safe for you to take the Ciprofloxacin.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be available to answer them.