Having a bruise in the bottom of foot. Intense pain. Suggest the treatment?

I've got a bruise on the bottom of my foot today. I fell 3 days ago on the same foot. I was in intense pain immediately after and when I went home, which improved. I am able to walk with the leg, but there is a major bruise.
Posted Fri, 27 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Soft tissue injury

Detailed Answer:
Dear patient,

Thanks for the good quality picture. By the appearance of the lesion as well as the mechanism of trauma, it appears as a small hematoma/echymosis (bruise) from the soft tissues of the foot sole. If you can bear weight and see no major deformity, it is unlikely to be a fracture. Ice compresses 3 times a day, an antiinflammatory such as naproxen or ibuprofen for 5 days, should make things gradually better; if they don't then I would encorage you to see a provider and perhaps obtain an x-ray, but probably not needed at this time.

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN