Having a bald patch after surgery to remove abscess from head. Can hair transplant helpful on scar tissue?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hello, my son had surgery to remove an abscess from the top of his head when he was seven. The surgeon cut a circular piece of scalp to remove it, which left a large scar. He did undergo skin expansion treatment, which was unsuccessful. No more treatments were offered and now he is nearly seventeen and has a scar that looks like a bald patch. Would hair transplants be suitable on scar tissue.
Thankyou XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
For regrowth of his hairs, hair transplantation is the only option left for him.The chances of hair transplantation being successful on a scar tissue are lesser as compared to the normal scalp but you can give it a try.
You can discuss it with his dermatologist who after an examination of the affected area will be in a better position to assess the possibilities.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Having a bald patch after surgery to remove abscess from head. Can hair transplant helpful on scar tissue? 9 hours later
This is a totally lame response to my question. I'll just give a hair transplant a try shall I! I thought that before going to my GP and being refferred to a speacialist, I would give this site a go, because of the number of professionals I would have thought that one must have some sort of knowledge about scar tissue. If you have no experience regarding my question don't fob me off with 'give it a try'. My son has had five painful operation relating to this and I would not put him through more anguish on the off chance. Really I am quite disappionted with such a flippant response, I will never use this site again it is totally unprofessional and misleading.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for writing again.
The success of hair transplant on a scar tissue depends on the thickness of the scar, its vascularity, presence of any contracture, its distance from the healthy tissue, the extent of blood flow in the grafted skin, etc. All these things can be assessed only after a physical examination.
Without an actual examination it is impossible to comment on the chances of the hair transplantation being successful.
Secondly, success of any surgical procedure is difficult to assess before actually carrying out the procedure.
I am sorry you felt my answer to be vague but i could not do a more detailed assessment without actually seeing the patient physically.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.