Ask a Dentist   »  

Have yellow tongue. Tried hydrogen peroxide, soda. Could not help. Treatment?

I noticed that my tongue was turning yellow about six weeks ago. I have since learned it is called yellow tongue. I began treatment by brushing my tongue and rinsing my mouth with 4 parts water and 1 part hydrogen peroxide twice daily. That did not help. After two weeks I began brushing my tongue with Arm & Hammer toothpaste with baking soda and peroxide. The use a tongue brush to remove the yellow coating followed by rinsing my mouth with Listerine Mouth Wash. It works for a few hours and then the yellow starts returning. I talked to my dentist yesterday about a prescription mouth rinse that I heard works. He was unaware of anything like that. If I can get the name of the prescription mouth rinse he will give me a prescription for it.
Posted Tue, 5 Mar 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 2 hours later
Thanks for writing to us,
I would like you to know that tongue brushing is the best way to clean your tongue off the food debris.
Yellow coating over the tongue can be due to a number of reasons;
1. Smoking,
2. Nutritional deficiencies,
3. Infection,
4. Fever,
5. Jaundice,
6. Anemia,
7. Gastric reflux,
8. Lack of oral hygiene.
I am glad to hear that you are using hydrogen peroxide rinse with water(5:1) .
Continue with your regular oral health regime,you can use any mouthwash all of them have same ingredients.
Brush your tongue with a soft bristle brush or a tongue scraper.
You can use a mouthwash twice / day,
Rinse your mouth with plain water after every meal,
Chew a sugar free gum,
Kindly follow these instructions and maintain regular follow ups with your dentist.
I assume there is no burning sensation associated with your tongue, if there is then the cause is bacterial or fungal infection, which will require medication.

I will advise you to continue using listerine,
If you experience any symptoms like pain or burning of tongue then kindly see your dentist.
If you have any further queries ,kindly write back to us,
I wish you good health.