Have white tongue and swollen lymph nodes in groin after having oral sex with sex worker. Any chances of HIV?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Hi doctor, i had an oral sex done to me by sex worker. I have seen all hiv symptoms wieght loss, white tounge and swolwn lymph nods in the groin for 6 weeks now. I tested Hiv negative 6 weeks antibody and 11, 15 and 18 weeks Arcketikt 4 generation An/ag test. Herpez, syphlis, genorea and Clamedia all negative at 3 months. I'm getting pinpoint red spot on arms and chest. What is the peoblem shoild i still think about hiv? Or with these test i should forget about it?
Posted Wed, 11 Dec 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 5 hours later
Brief Answer: HIV negative status Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for choosing health care magic. I have gone through your query and I want to make few elaborations about HIV and HIV testing to relieve your worry. HIV is most commonly transmitted by sexual route (vaginal, anal or oral). Once the virus enters into the body it multiplies in the local lymph nodes and spills into the blood in 4-11 days. So, HIV can be detected in blood only after 4 days of exposure. After HIV enters the blood, it targets specific cells called CD4 cells and multiplies in them and eventually destroys them. The antibodies against HIV start appearing after 3 weeks to 12 weeks after exposure. This period from exposure to appearance of antibodies is called window period. This period is variable in different individuals and a person can show negative test result for antibodies during this period. So the tests for HIV antibodies are repeated to confirm negative status. National AIDS Control Organization (NACO) suggests a strategy for HIV testing in persons with potential exposure, it is called as three kit strategy. Patient's sample is subjected to at least three tests and patient is announced as negative if at least two test results are negative. Now coming to your case, oral sex with commercial sex worker can be definitely considered as potential exposure. You have undergone HIV testing at 6, 11, 15, 18 weeks and all have turned negative. Then you are definitely HIV negative. You have also tested negative for sexually transmitted infections. Let us discuss your symptoms one by one to rule out other causes. 1. Weight loss - Weight loss is considered significant if you lose more than 5% of your body weight in 30 days. So check if you really have significant weight loss. 2. White coated tongue - Coated tongue could be due to many reasons, most common being bad oral hygiene, mouth ulcers due to yeast infection. This is common in increased stress as persons immunity falls during very stressful conditions. 3. Swollen lymph nodes in groin - Most common cause of swollen lymph nodes is sexually transmitted infections but you have tested negative for all. Please get those nodes examined to rule out other causes. 4. Pinpoint red spots on arms and chest - Red rashes could be due to many reasons most common being allergic reactions, insect bites, sweat rashes. If they are very itchy, you can take Tab Atarax 25 mg twice daily for three days. You can also apply calamine lotion over them to relieve the redness. If they do not reduce, then I would suggest you get in touch with a dermatologist to get those rashes examined. I hope I have answered your query satisfactorily. Please let me know if I can assist you further. Thanks.