Have white coated tongue and foul smell. Tried gargling with hydrogen peroxide. What can help me?

Hi , I have white coated tongue and it smells very bad. I brush twice a day and have healthy teeth according to my dentist . This problem is with me since last 12 years , bad breath due to stinking tongue. I clean my tongue twice with a scrapper , even tried gargling with hydrogen peroxide . Right now i use alcohol free mouthwashes but nothing helps. My tongue starts stinking within 20 mins of using mouthwashes. Please help ...would do anything to get this problem out of my life.
Posted Mon, 25 Jun 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 29 minutes later

The white coating on tongue can be due to candida infection or thrush.

Thrush appears as white patches in the mouth. Usually they can be seen on the tongue, inside the cheeks, under the tongue, and in the back of the throat. I suggest you to get an examination done from your doctor and get a KOH examination of the scrapings done of these white coatings.

Nystatin liquid is used by swishing a bit in your mouth several times a day and then swallowing the medicine. Throat lozenges called Mycelex trouches can also be used. But they should be used only after diagnosis has been confirmed and these medications prescribed by your doctor. If the symptoms are severe then oral antifungals may be needed.

For bad breath, cleaning the tongue with tongue cleaner and using a mouth wash with mint etc may be tried.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.