Ask a Dentist   »  

Have white bumps in mouth. No pain. What can this be?

Dentist
Question
Hi, I have two white bumps in my mouth, think they have been there for at least 4 years, I go to the dentist yearly, nothing said, but I noticed them after braces, 4 years ago they are tiny. I attachd a picture. No pain. And don't notice any size different. Just I worry,
Posted Wed, 17 Jul 2013 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 39 minutes later
Hello there,

According to your clinical symptoms I suspect that, orthodontic braces might have caused soft tissue trauma, resulting in accumulation of healing tissue cells in the area resulting in formation of a tiny cysts or little beningn fibroma.

Take care that it is not infected by maintaining a good oral hygiene, take lukewarm saline rinses and antiseptic mouthwash rinses to prevent super infection.

It will be wise if you visit Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon for complete clinical evaluation, and to decide exact diagnosis and appropriate treatment plan.

I am sorry; I did not notice any picture attached to this query.

If you have any other queries, I will be glad to answer!

Take care!
Dr Qazi.

Follow-up: Have white bumps in mouth. No pain. What can this be? 38 minutes later
They are behind my teeth like where my tongue lays, two hard bumps like where my roots are, trying to attach pictures.

I just worry about everything, so scared, please reassure me, I am away from my home country.

Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 22 minutes later
Thanks for the prompt reply,

I have seen your pictures and I understand your concern. Please do not get panic at all, it can also be a periodontal or gingival abscess, you need to get an x-ray of the region to get the exact diagnosis. In addition, get complete mouth scaling and polishing done. It is not a very serious issue and can be cured easily.
As you are away from your home country do antiseptic mouthwash rinses to prevent super infections, until you see your Dentist.

Take care!
Dr Qazi.

Follow-up: Have white bumps in mouth. No pain. What can this be? 20 minutes later
So nothing major? Just minor at the moment, just maintain good hygiene

Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 3 minutes later

Thanks for the prompt reply,

Yes, it is not a major issue you can maintain a good oral hygiene, untill you see your Dentist.

Wish you good health!

Regards!
Dr Qazi.

Follow-up: Have white bumps in mouth. No pain. What can this be? 41 minutes later
Wouldn't be oral cancer right? I'm so scared :(

Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 4 minutes later

Thanks for the prompt reply,

It cannot be a oral cancer, oral cancers are caused due to chronic use of tobacco chewing, betel nut chewing, intake of hot spicy foods, long standing trauma, ulcerations, infections may develop into malignancies that can confirmed by clinical evaluation, so need not to worry.

Take care!
Dr Qazi.

Follow-up: Have white bumps in mouth. No pain. What can this be? 19 minutes later
So what I have, is it an infection? Or an ulcer? I'm just so worried now caus ei don't want it to lead to anything scary. I. So scared right now

Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 2 hours later

As I have mentioned to you earlier that it could be a benign fibroma or can also be a periodontal or gingival infection to rule out this you need to take an IOPA x-ray of the region. As you cannot visit the Dentist right now, you can maintain a good oral hygiene until then.

Take care!
Dr Qazi.

Follow-up: Have white bumps in mouth. No pain. What can this be? 3 hours later
I did so e research, as I worry about this stuff, and it said an abcess is painful, mine is not painful at all?

Could it be a mandibular torus?

Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 3 hours later

No it cannot be an mandibular torus, torus are usually found near the premolar region bilaterally and are larger in size, it can be an beningn fibroma or cyst. Dont panic take an x-ray of the region as soon as possible.

Take care,
Dr Qazi.

Follow-up: Have white bumps in mouth. No pain. What can this be? 6 hours later
Okay thank you. I can see a doctor, will that be good enough to exam? Or wait 4 weeks for dentist? I mean its been there for like 4 years, not change in size or shape, just my anxiety makes me panic

For your peace of mind,I would suggest you to visit the Dentist as soon as possible and take an IOPA x-ray for proper diagnosis and treatment.

If all the queries are clearified please close the discussion!

Wishing you good health!

Dr Qazi.