Have weight loss, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and muscle aches. All test normal, except low vitamin D. Suggest?

unintentional weigh loss of 25 pounds, nausea vomiting diarrhea and joint and muscle aches for the last 4 months, all blood work is normal except low vitamin d levels, all stool tests are normal. What to do next?
Posted Thu, 25 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Omer 1 hour later

I am Dr.Omer and I am here to help you with your query.

As you have said that you are a male 51 year old , weight loss of 25 pounds , nausea , vomiting and diarrhoea , joint pain for 4 months , all tests including stool test are normal .

First of all you are losing lot of weight in very less time of 4 months , loose stool causing less time for food to absorb and joint pain indicate an autoimmune disease.

As you are a young male of 26 years all these symptoms lead to MALABSORPTION SYNDROME .

Malabsorption Syndrome includes.

CELIAC disease , usually starts in this age group ( 20-30 ) , with excessive weight loss , joint pain.

In celiac disease there are antibodies against your intestine , and the food containing antigens like ( oats , flour , meat , custard ....etc) cause your body to get rid of it fast , joint pain are also common , and fat soluble vitamins cannot get absorbed like vitamin D , which need slow food movement to absorb.

Stool test are also normal in this disease.

The other cause of malabsorption could be inflammatory bowel disease like crohns or ulcerative , but in these bloody stool sometimes occur.

The next best plan of action would be testinfor above disease by anti transglutaminase antibodies , and antiendomysial bodies.

With gastroenterologist review for endoscopic biopsy or brushing of duodenal ( intestine ) wall and if possible ileal biopsy , dont worry iit is pain less procedure , as this will be the best test to distinguish all causes of malabsorption like( worms , cystic fibrosis , and other causes I discussed ).

Finding the cause of your symptoms are important as you are young , and can be treated earlier.

Follow what I said and you will find your problem.

Your feedback is important to us.

TAke care