Have vitamin deficiency. Is it necessary to take meconeuron injections?

Ophthalmologist
Question
I have Vitamin deficiency (8.87 ng/ml.) and my serum homocyseteine is 12.22 micromol/litre. I was asked to take Inj. Meconeuron 500 (12 injections) over a period of 10 weeks and Tab Meconeuron for a period of one year. Simultaneously I was asked to take 6 Inj Arachitol 6 lakh IU over a period of 6 weeks. Is it necessary to take Meconeuron injections?
Posted Thu, 21 Nov 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 1 hour later
Brief Answer: It is necessary to take injections. Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to Health Care Magic. It seems from the history that you are having deficiency of vitamin B 12 for which you are on treatment with Injection and tablet Meconeuron which contains Methylcobalamine the active moleculae called as Vitamin B 12. Along with this you are also on Inj.Architol or Vitamin D3. Coming to your question of is it necessary to take injections if Meconeuron? I feel it is necessary to take injections as the commonest factor responsible for deficiency of vitamin B 12 is said to be because of improper absorption rather than inadequate intake. In most of the cases improper absorption is the cause of vitamin B 12 deficiency. Hence in most of the cases many doctors treat vitamin B 12 deficiency by injections along with oral supplements. Hence I feel it is better to take injections of Meconeuron. Hope I have answered your query. Thank you

Follow-up: Have vitamin deficiency. Is it necessary to take meconeuron injections? 14 hours later
What I have is D 2 and D 3 deficiency. Why am I treated for B 12 deficiency?

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 1 hour later
Brief Answer: You are on treatment for Vitamin D&B12 deficiency Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to Health Care Magic, Thank you for the follow up query. Coming to your first question, What I have D2 or D3 deficiency? Both D2 and D3 are forms of Vitamin D, which is an essential nurient for normal functioning. You are on Vitamin D3 supplementation as Vitamin D3 is more potent and is preferred mode of treatment for supplementation. Coming to your second question, Why Iam treated for B 12 deficiency? Because of blood reports showing decreased levels of B 12 and a marginal increase in Homocysteine levels you are on treatment for B 12 deficiecny. Hope I have answered your query. Thank you