Have vaginal itching and applied silver sulfadiazine cream and sulfamethoxazole. Is it bacterial STD?

If silver sulfadiazine cream and sulfamethoxazole relieve genital itching, does that mean that I have a bacterial STD? Cuase when I don't use these meds, I'm very uncomfortable. I'm a female, and recently had sex, followed by intense vaginal itching, and painful urination. YYYY@YYYY
Posted Tue, 19 Nov 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Both antibiotics, could be bacteria

Detailed Answer:
Hello Madam!
sulfamethoxazole is a sulfonamide bacterial antibiotic and it has a broad spectrum of organisms under its watch and E COLI is the one causing urinaary tract infections is also relieved by it. silver sulfadiazine is mostly used for Pseudomonas infections an organism in UTi too but mostly found in burn wounds of 2nd and 3rd degree.
so yes both the antibiotics and if symptoms are relieved might be the possibility that organisms causing it comes under these drugs spectrum.
but you know what would be better?
some investigations to know for sure what is it.
do the routine urine examination for pus cells and casts etc in it. better will be to do a urine culture for organism specification if the problem is persistent.
an ultrasound of lower abdomen and pelvis would be also helpful to rule out any PIDs ( pelvic inflammatory diseases) related collections if any.
DO the swab tests for vaginal discharge if any.
your painful urination ( is there blood in it ? ultrasound will help again to rule out struvites stones a gift of UTI and mostly pseudomonas again ) if no blood then no worries. all you need is a hygiene therapy.
apply some topical hypoallergenic hygiene lotions like Biomousse gels over the area and rinse it like a shampoo for three to five minutes. this will be a relief .
use depilatory creams or alternatives to get rid of groin hair frequently every week would be better. while washing the area after defecation or urination use forward to backward one directional motion of the hand to avoid contamination as urethras are very short in women and prone to infections easily in women.

last but not the least treatment.
get metronidazole for 7 days twice a day
apply topical clotrimazole ointment over the areas before sleep at night.
you can take some over the counter anti hisstamines for the itching if severe
Use Secendazoles or entemazoles too stat( once only)

but self education and hygiene is the most important thing you need here.
now considering your age of 56. women at this age have itchings from the atrophic vaginitis too for lower hormones. for that you would need a gynecologist neearby to see with eyes whats happening there. topical steroids will be necessary in that case too.

Hope i was of help, and will be here for you if you need me

Dr Khan