Have upset stomach and noticed blood in stool. Required treatment?

I WAS pooping and there was like a ripping feeling and IT hurt Alittle, when I push and wipe there was blood on the tissue and Alittle on the poop. And now my tummy feels Alittle upset I am not sure it if me worrying is making my stomach feel like this?
Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Balaji Chinnasami 50 minutes later

Thanks for query to healthcare magic.

Generally, if there is little blood (bright red colour) in your stool & if this is only the first episode, then it could mean that you are you constipated (not passing stools daily/ passing hard pellet like stools/straining while passing stools). In such cases the blood could be due to injury caused to the anal region by the hard stools. If you are constipated, you need to follow certain lifestyle changes like increasing fiber content in your food by consuming lot of fruits & vegetables, drinking plenty of fluids, exercise, avoiding processed & fatty foods. Temporarily laxatives like lactulose, isabgol will offer relief.

If the stools you passed along with blood was associated with mucous & if the stool frequency was increased than usual, it could be dysentery. Dysentery usually is associated with an upset tummy. In such cases you need to be treated with antibiotics.

However, if there is a substantial amount of blood in your stool it could be a cause of concern. If you notice any mass protruding while passing stools it could be hemorrhoids( piles) & you need to consult a surgeon.

Hope this answers your query. Feel free to ask any further queries in this regard, I will be glad to help you.

Take care,
Dr. Balaji Chinnasami, MD.