Have undergone HIV 1 DNA PCR Qualitative Analysis test. Result was negative. Should I go for re-test?

Excellent

Question

I have undergone HIV 1 DNA PCR Qualitative Analysis test. Blood sample was taken 26 days after a risky activity. Test was done 4-5 days later, close to 30 days. Result came back as 'Not Detected'. Now, its been 90 days after that risky incident happened. Please advice me whether I can stay cool with the result of PCR test or whether I need to go for a re-test. This is quite bothering me doctor. I have seen a HIV specialist who actually suggested this test. With this result, he told me that I am 100% free from infection. Please provide me your opinion.

Thanks,
XXXXXX
Posted Thu, 20 Jun 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

There are different methods available to detect HIV. These tests have different window periods. The window period is the time it takes for the specific test to be able to definitively say whether a person has a condition- the time it takes to pick up the infection in the sample.

The method you used for HIV testing ( the PCR) test has a window period of 2 to 3 weeks. This window period is shorter than the traditional method because looks for the virus itself wheras the elisa test looks for antibodies. Antibodies are formed when a persons body reacts to a virus. It takes some time for this reaction to occur in some persons, this is why that window period is up to 3 months.

Since the window period for the test you had done is 2 to 3 weeks (14 to 21 days) and your test was done at day 30 , then it is accurate and you are not HIV positive.

There is no HIV infection according to this test and this test has passed the time where there would be any possible inaccuracy.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: Have undergone HIV 1 DNA PCR Qualitative Analysis test. Result was negative. Should I go for re-test? 12 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for your reply. With your opinion, I think I can set my mind free and go-on with normal life?

Thanks,
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 7 hours later
Hi, yes, you can go on with your normal life, you are not HIV positive.

Hope this sets your mind at ease

Please feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: Have undergone HIV 1 DNA PCR Qualitative Analysis test. Result was negative. Should I go for re-test? 2 minutes later

Yes XXXXXXX it really eased my mind. Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks,
XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 28 minutes later
I am glad, best wishes