Have ulcer on tongue. Difficult to swallow. Had a post-nasal drip. What can be done?

ENT Specialist
For the past two months I have had a post-nasal drip, perhaps related to allergies triggered by the early spring weather. Accompanying it was a ulcer on the side of or under my tongue; the ulcer seemed to come and go to some extent--maybe as a result of a greater or lesser post-nasal drip at the time. In the last week the ulcer near the tongue has subsided but has been replaced by a stronger ulcerous feeling to the right of my Adam's XXXXXXX This ulcer hurts when I swallow, and I've become concerned enough to schedule an appt. with an ENT in another week. But I would like to get an opinion now as to how much to worry about it.
Posted Tue, 7 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 49 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. To check the area near the right side of the Adam's XXXXXXX you may get a Videolaryngoscopy done. You may share the video and images here.

2. A Post Nasal Drip usually originates from the nose and sinuses. If this has happened after a bad flu or due to a seasonal allergy, it will subside with time.

3. The raw area may be an apthous ulcer or an area of lymphoid tissue hypertrophy. Apthous ulcers occur due to stress, acidity, vitamin, zinc and iron deficiencies, infections including viral infections, auto-immune disorders and so on.

4. While you are waiting for your appointment, start regular steam inhalation, multivitamin and zinc supplements. Apply medical glycerine liquid over the affected area in possible. Use a medicated mouth wash. An anti-allergic may help. However this should only be taken under the supervision of your doctor.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.