Have type II diabetes, sinus infection. Taking amoxicillin. Reason for blurred vision, change in sugar level?

My mother is a type II diabetic controlled with diet and exercise alone. She has had a severe respiratory infection, diagnosed as sinus infection, started on amoxicillin last week. After starting amoxicillin, despite her very strictly controlled diet, her vision has been blurry and her blood sugars are running 187-200's. She saw her eye physician who said her prescription had drastically changed likely due to blood sugar changes. Can the amoxicillin cause the alterations in blood sugar? Is it the stress of the infection that has gone on for 4-5 weeks now?
Posted Tue, 28 May 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 29 minutes later
Dear friend, welcome to Healthcaremagic!
I am Dr. Prasad Akole (Critical Care Expert- and am glad to address to your query here.

It is not amoxicillin but her infection and the stress and sympathetic response that elevate blood sugar levels. Uncontrolled sugars can cause retinal changes in the eyes (diabetic retinopathy).

Sometimes infections around the orbit (eyes) can spread to cause orbital infection and affect vision.
Sometimes diabetics develop fungal or mucor infections of the sinuses and orbits that affect vision.

Please be guided by your ophthalmologist and physician/ ENT specialist for in depth evaluation of the visual acuity problem.

What does the opthalmologist label the eye problem as, medically?

Please get blood sugars, HbA1C levels, hemogram, urea, creatinine, urine tests done to know the over all control of diabetes and achieve a tight sugar control.

I hope to have answered your query satisfactorily. I would be glad to answer any further queries. Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at
Good Luck!

As it helps us to improve continuously, may I request you to write a rating review before you ‘accept’ and ‘close’ the query.
Thank you!!