Have type 2 diabetes, hypertension and suffering from IBS. Looking for proper diagnosis

Hi doc. I am from india. I have a problem of IBS which was diagnosed by my doctor. I have type2 diabietes and hypertension also. My age is 31 years. Weight is 92 kgs now before it was 97. My main problem is i have to pass out stool between 5-8 times a day. And this is the condition from last 7 years. Before i used to eat chicken and drink wiskey daily. Doctors told me to stop it because i had a fatty liver. My doctor have advised me to do a colonoscopy. Right now the medication i am on are:- Nexium40, janumet 1000, udiliv300, telma am, colospa retard, libityp, evion400 and softvac sf. This problem of going to bathroom so many times has ruined my life. I cant go anywhere which is very depressing. What do you think might the problem be. Right now i only eat home cooked veg food only and 30-40 min of walk for the last 3 months. But still no remedy. I somes times have a formed stool and most of the times its watery and loose. I had blood occult test done and it was positive. And no other infections were found in the stool sample. Should i change the doctor or do what?
Posted Sat, 24 Nov 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 7 hours later
Hi and thanks for contacting healthcaremagic
Diarrhea in a person of your profile can be because of -
1) Small bowel bacterial overgrowth secondary to altered intestinal motility
2) Vit B12 deficiency
3) Intestinal malabsorption problems like celiac disease. This disease is more common in Punjab and has an association with early onset diabetes
4) Pancreatic problems especially as you have an early onset diabetes. Here the stools are bulky, foul smelling and greasy
5) IBS is characteristically associated with abdominal pain or discomfort which gets relieved after passing stools. This is a diagnosis of exclusion
A normal colonoscopy rules out other structural issues
Hence get yourself tested for Serum Vit B12, TSH and t-TGA in fasting state to rule out these causes. Meanwhile continue the medications and avoid milk
You can XXXXXXX Dr XXXXXXX Kant XXXXXXX in PGI chandigarh, Dept of Gastroenterology and quote this communication as a reference