Have type 1 diabetes. Taking humalog and lantus. Are these medicine safe and effective?

My girlfriend has type 1 diabetes and takes Humalog and Lantus.
I know Humalog is a very fast acting insulin, so it's great for bringing down blood glucose levels very quickly after eating which is good. I'm curious though, is this a type of insulin you would recommend? Since it's fast acting, is this insulin spike good for the body? The maximum amount she ever does is usually about 8 units so she doesn't do much. It's usually breakfast 4, lunch 6, Dinner about 7 or 8 and 12 units of Lantus.

A totally separate question I had was about soluble fiber. If she is going to ingest a large amount of soluble fiber, like found in Metamucil for example, would she need a shot of insulin for this?

Posted Thu, 9 May 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Om Lakhani 16 minutes later

I think I had answered your previous question as well. I believe the dose of Lovastatin is increased after our discussion.

Humalog is an ideal prandial insulin. Almost all my patients who take multidose insulin use humalog so it is THE insulin to use before meals. The insulin spike IS actually good for her because after of meal there is a spike in glucose which has to be controlled with a spike of insulin. So I guess we are good with Humalog. Lantus is the ideal basal insulin so we are good there as well.

Fibers are counted in the carb content however it doesnt increase your sugar level so she may not take insulin if she is going to have only metamucil.

I hope that answers your questions.
Dr. Om Lakhani.
Follow-up: Have type 1 diabetes. Taking humalog and lantus. Are these medicine safe and effective? 12 minutes later
Hi again Om Lakhani,

Yeah you recommended that she increase the dose so I talked with the
doctor and got it changed, thanks for your help!

Also good to hear she is on the right types of insulin.

One more thing, she had 312 total cholesterol and an LDL of 220.
What else would you recommend to lower her cholesterol? Is there much else she can do besides taking the medication?

Thanks again,
Answered by Dr. Om Lakhani 5 minutes later

A little bit of exercise would help apart from the diet. I would recommend atleast 30 min of brisk walk per day atleast 5 times a week. Avoid saturated and transfat in food.. that would help immensely. Taking fibres is also a good idea and I can see you are already doing that.

Dr. Om Lakhani.