Have twitching and pulse like sensation in hands. What could be causing this?

Hi there,i have had pins and needles in my hands now for three weeks and sometimes in my feet.Today my finger has been twitching in my left hand and ive had like a pulse sensation in both hands.Im a 34 year old female and dont take any medication. I like a drink at weekends but dont drink in the week. My posture isn't good so im trying to improve the way i sit and stand at the moment. I dont feel ill but these pins and needles are annoying. Any ideas please
Posted Fri, 29 Mar 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

There are several causes of this pins and needle sensation that you are experiencing.

One of the causes is Anxiety. This can lead to rapid breathing causing such problem.
Do you have any stress? Try stress reduction if this is the basic cause by various life style changes like yoga, meditation, walking etc.

Another cause, I can think of is deficiency of vitamins like B12. This is possible particularly if you are a vegan. Supplementation of vitamin B12 will be useful in such cases.

Sometimes the nerve roots at the neck may become irritated and this may result in such sensation.

Diabetes and hypothyroidism may also cause such problem. If you have problems like excessive thirst, increased appetite or increased frequency of urination you may get your blood sugar level done to rule out such cause. If you have constipation or increased cold intolerance etc then get a thyroid profile.

I tried to explain the common causes of such sensation. So depending on the physical examination findings your doctor will investigate for the cause.

Hope this helps.
Please do let me know if there are any other concerns.

Follow-up: Have twitching and pulse like sensation in hands. What could be causing this? 1 hour later
Thank you so much for your advise and i was pleased to see you didn't mention MS. I have no stress in my life, im not a vegan and dont seem to have any diabetes symptoms. I do feel the cold though and when really cold my hands and feet and turn grey/blue. I know i have poor circulation. I didn't mention two years ago i fell on ice and have had achy back muscles ever since (just above my hip on the right) I did wonder if it was anything to do with this fall even though it was two years ago and ive only just started to get pins and needles recently. My back can feel quite stiff at times. Think it's time for a trip to my gp.

Thanks again for your time
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 3 hours later

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I did not cover all the causes of pins and needles but the common ones. It is difficult to say if your fall can contribute to your problem now. I request you to update me regarding your health if possible.

Follow-up: Have twitching and pulse like sensation in hands. What could be causing this? 20 hours later

My health in gereral is good but i do have a problem with my bladder which i have had since i was diagnosed with fibroids 6 years ago. Ive been told they are to small to affect my bladder but as soon as my period starts my bladder gives me grief (feels heavey, tight, tugging sensation when urinating, doesn't feel empty once been) By week 3 my bladder feels normal until day 1 of my next period then it starts over again. Saw a gynecologist who basically said come back if they grow bigger and give you more trouble. Was not impressed so have just learned to live with my bladder problem. Apart from that my health is really good and i am never poorly.
The pins and needles dont feel as bad today, just slightly tingly so hoping whatever it is will go on it's own accord. Were bad in bed last night though and a couple of my fingers were actually twitching which thankfully hasn't happened today.

Thanks again

Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

A fibroid may press on a bladder and cause problems like feeling of incomplete sensation of emptying. I do not think you should learn to live with it rather you should get it treated.

I also request you to get a proper diagnosis for your pins and needles sensation and not neglect it.

Hope this helps.