Have tree allergies. Experiencing sneezing, clogged ears and itchy throat. Is this due to allergies?

ENT Specialist
I have tree allergies, which are on the moderate level where I live. For the past week I have experienced sneezing, clogged ears, itchy throat , etc. It gets much worse at night. Just today I noticed XXXXXXX mucous when things were coming up. Does that mean it isn't my allergies causing all of this. Thanks! I have been taking my claritin, nasonex and singular daily.
Posted Thu, 16 Aug 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 6 hours later

Thanks for the query

You are suffering from rhinosinusitis secondary to the nasal allergy or allergic rhinitis and the XXXXXXX mucous indicates active infection.

Allergic rhinitis is a common condition characterised by an immunoglobulin E (IgE)-mediated inflammation of the nasal mucosa following exposure to allergens. It is characterized by sneezing, nasal discharge and nasal congestion.

During allergic rhinitis there is inflammation of the nasal mucosa causing blockage of the sinus openings leading to accumulation of the nasal secretions in the sinus. This gives the effect of feeling of heaviness in the head. Also, there is trickling of the nasal secretions behind the throat causing throat discomfort.

The clogged ears could be due to the sinusitis itself. During an attack of cold, there is blockage of the Eustachian tube (the tube connecting the ear and the nose); this causes accumulation of fluid in the middle ear. Accumulated fluid in the middle ear gives rise to clogged ears.

The medicines you are on are the ideal ones; apart from that, you need to follow those things mentioned below.

1. Antibiotics such as a combination of amoxycillin and clavulanic acid or cefuroxime.
2. A mucolytic such as bromhexine or ambroxol.
3. Saline nasal spray followed by steam inhalation.
4. Drink plenty of warm water
5. Avoid chilled beverages/coffee/smoking if any.
6. If the symptoms do not improve please consult your doctor.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon