Ask a Dentist   »  

Have tooth decay. No pain, swelling or fever. Do I need tooth replacement?

I am not in any pain,but my one tooth has decay. I believe the enamel has worn away and I can see dentum. This decay covers about one quarter of the tooth and is a golden brown color. Again, I have no pain or fever and it isn't particular sensitive to heat or cold. Based on what I have written,what are the chances I will need a tooth replacement? I am nervous because it is one of my front teeth.

Thank you
Posted Fri, 29 Mar 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 2 days later
Dear friend,

Thanks for sharing your concern.

I can very well understand your problem. From the history given by you it is clear that you have dental caries (decay) in your front tooth.

You do not have any associated pain, swelling or fever because the process of decay has stopped there itself.
The process of tooth decay has involved your enamel (the hardest structure) then dentin, but might be because of your self consciousness and could be maintenance of good oral hygiene process, it has not progressed further.

The infection has not travelled until the pulp tissue, where there are nerves located. Therefore, you do not have such symptoms.
It is very nice to know that you’re concerned about your oral health.

Coming to its treatment part, you will have to look for a dentist who is practicing cosmetic dentistry. There are various new varieties of restorative materials like
Composites, which can be used to restore the original shape and size of your tooth.

As far as your tooth decay is concerned, it is called arrested caries, which requires only cosmetic treatment.

Hope, I have answered your query to your satisfaction, anything else regarding this please do not hesitate to post your query.