Have tinea crurus. Taken flu-150. How long it will take to cure?

Sep 2012

I have tinea crurus for 6 months and consulted a gynacologist last month and she has prescribed me flu-150 for oral medication and canesten (have taken for 4 weeks now) for antifungal oinment.. When i visited her last week she said it is mostly resolved.
I am getting married by next month, and i need to know if i will get cured by then? and also how to make sure i dont pass on this to my partner and others?
Posted Mon, 19 Nov 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 3 hours later
Firstly, it is tinea cruris, not crurus. It causes itchiness or burning sensation in the groin area, thigh skin fold or anus. It may also extend to other body parts. The disease occurs when the area is wet, warm, like when you are using same underwear for long time. Causative agents are fungal agents like candida species.

The medication you are taking is quite good. But you should do the followings alongwith taking the medications:-
- Avoid using same undergarment for long times,
- Use underwear made up of good linen,
- Wash the area everyday.
- Try to keep the area dry by changing the undergarments every time you get perspired.
- Try to wear loose undergarments.
- Try to avoid tight fitting clothes.
I think this is enough for you to get cured.
Now, to say the time required for cure is difficult without examining the lesions physically. You should trust your treating doctor on this matter. Because she has given great treatment. And i think that the drugs you are using will cure this before your marriage.

Now for preventing the disease from passing to other person, you will not share your clothes or towel with others. Try to use antifungal powder. Try to follow the above mentioned instructions.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know if you have any more question.

Follow-up: Have tinea crurus. Taken flu-150. How long it will take to cure? 17 minutes later
Thanks for your reply...

I will follow your instructions.Itching has stopped for me and the raised,scaly rashes are totally gone. I only have the marks left and very mild itch ,very rarely.

How do i know if the fungus is totally gone? will it comeback if i stop my medication?
is it advisable to mingle with this problem?
I would also like to know if i can go to gym, as it is going to make me sweat a lot, would that slow down curing my problem? Since i have less time before my marriage, i am taking steps to not complicate this more.
Is there any diet which has to be followed?anything has to be avoided?

Kindly let me know.

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 16 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.
I am giving your answers one by one.
1. When the skin gets back its normal color, then it can be said that the fungus has totally gone.
2. Recurrence of the condition depends on you. if you follow the instructions i mentioned, meticulously, chance of recurrence is very low.
3. Mingling is not advisable till you are completely cured.
4. you can go to gym, but you have to wear special cloth that prevents sweating. If you go to gym without this precaution, you can get infected again. As you have less time before marriage, it is better to avoid.
5. No particular diet is known which you have to follow for this disease.No specific food has to be avoided.

If you have your answers then close this discussion.
Rating and review given by you will be appreciated.