Have tibial plateau fracture, painful muscle spasms, have cast on leg. Can I take potassium pills?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I have tibial plateau fracture I'm and waiting surgery I have a cast on the leg I am expirincing really painful muscle spasms and cramps is there anything I can do can I take potassium pills how serious is this injury
Posted Sat, 25 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
The painful spasms you are having can be due to dehydration, muscle fatigue or electrolyte abnormalities. It is better to drink sufficient fluid and also see that your intake of electrolytes (sodium, potassium, magnesium ) is sufficient. You can drink Oralyte for this.
Taking potassium pills will also be helpful but please be careful not to overdo it.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: Have tibial plateau fracture, painful muscle spasms, have cast on leg. Can I take potassium pills? 22 hours later
These spasms hurt really bad when I get up with crutches do I need to keep my leg elevated all the time?

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Yes . keeping the leg elevated will be helpful in reducing the swelling. You can take pain killers like ibuprofen to combat the pain.
Hope this answer is helpful.
Regards.

Follow-up: Have tibial plateau fracture, painful muscle spasms, have cast on leg. Can I take potassium pills? 41 minutes later
My surgeon told me not to take any blood thinners Like ibuprofen in prep for surgery are muscle relaxers ok to take with norco

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 10 hours later
With narcotic analgesics, muscle relaxants like thiocolchicoside will be helpful in providing the relief.
You can get these prescribed from your orthopedician.