Have the habit of smoking. Having neurologic symptoms. Negative chest ct scan. Muscle fasciculation and vision problems. Remedy?

Excellent

Pulmonologist
Question
I am a 29 year old ex smoker. I have a five pack year history over 9 actual years of smoking on and off. 11 months ago I started having neurologic symptoms weak feeling in legs. I had a negative chest ct scan w contrast. Symptoms have progressed and I've had normal neuro exams twice the past 4 months, fatigue upon waking muscle fasciculation and vision problems occurring. I have been having chest discomfort under my sternum for around 3 months with continued neurologic symptoms. I had a negative chest x XXXXXXX 1 month ago. Could these symptoms be from a small cell lung cancer that hasn't shown up on imaging?
Posted Tue, 27 Aug 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 12 hours later
Hello XXXXX,

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Having gone through your query in detail, i am of the opinion that it is unlikely that it could be small cell lung cancer(SCLC) because almost all SCLCs are shown on x XXXXXXX or CT Chest at presentation.

Though SCLC is known to cause neurological symptoms but that is generally after tumour has spread to distant organs and by which time it will definitely be shown on chest x ray/CT chest.

If you are very anxious i suggest you get a MRI brain and spine done which may reveal a metastatic lesion with an occult primary though i would like to once again stress that it seems unlikely that it could be SCLC. MRI may reveal any other abnormality also if present

In my opinion you need a second opinion for your neurological problems as it could be a neuromuscular disorder. For chest discomfort consult a cardiologist.

Follow-up: Have the habit of smoking. Having neurologic symptoms. Negative chest ct scan. Muscle fasciculation and vision problems. Remedy? 11 hours later
Thank you for your response,

I have had mri of the brain and spine clear. I have a follow up neurologist appointment soon.

Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 12 minutes later
Thank you and take care.