Have tender spot under underarm. Could that be caused by breastfeeding?

I have a tender spot under my left underarm that started three days ago. Could that be caused by breastfeeding? I have a four months old that nurses around the clock!
Posted Sat, 10 Aug 2013 in Beauty
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 1 hour later

Mastitis(Inflammation of the breast) is common during lactation(Breastfeeding) due to blocked of the breast sinus by infection.

This causes the milk to collect in the breast and creates tenderness of the breast.

Anatomically the breast tissues extends upto the underarms and so the pain.

In this situation you need to

1. Examine your breast for any swelling.

2. Check for free flow of milk from the breast.

3. If there is blocked then that breast should be emptied regularly and the milk discorded.

4. If the presentation of inflammation and infection is confirmed analgesics and antibiotics which are safe in lactation need to be taken.

Hope the answer helps you.
Please to answer other queries.