Have syringomas below eyes, growing fast, itching. What is causing it? How to stop growth?

Cosmetic & Plastic Surgeon
I have syringomas below my eyes since 4 years. Now its growing too fast and also new syringomas are appearing. I also have some itching sensation in them sometimes. I dont know whats causing its growth and how to stop the growth? If I go for laser , then how much time it will take to recover? In bangalore any doctors who can treat syringomas? my marriage is in novermber. Can I go for treatment now? Please let me know the doctors in bangalore for treatment of it. If not treatment atleast i want to stop the growth of new ones. please help.
Posted Wed, 5 Sep 2012 in Beauty
Answered by Dr. Mayank Singh 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query on healthcare magic
Syringomas are benign tumors of the sweat gland ducts which are mostly found on or around the eyelids, though they may be found elsewhere on the face, as well as the upper chest, vulva, armpits, and umbilicus
Usually they are asymptomatic but are sometimes associated with itching what you have mentioned above , which is mostly associated when there is excessive perspiration.There is no method to stop their growth , just that we can completely remove them from their origin when they appear.As the cause is mostly sporadic and sometimes genetic , it cannot be prevented.
The main purpose for treatment is aesthetics for obvious reason. The aim of therapy for syringomas should be to destroy of the tumor with minimal scarring and avoiding recurrence but as syringomas are embedded inside the dermis, complete removal is often unsuccessful and recurrence is common.
There are no studies to determine the best method for treating syringomas but possible treatments as per my experience in decreasing order of efficacy are :
-Surgically excise it with suturing in such a way that the scar comes in resting skin tension lines.This may be followed by fractional CO2 laser.
-Trichloroacetic acid application
-Carbon dioxide laser excision
-Electrocautery used for excision

If you go in for Laser treatment for syringoma it usually takes 7 to 10 days to recover on an average though the downtime differs with individual variation.
If you get it surgically excised , the stitches are removed on the 5th to 7th day and then after around 10 to 15 days you can take a sitting of fractional Carbon dioxide laser to eliminate the scar completely.
Yes definitely you can go in for the therapy now and you will be absolutely recovered by your marriage for the better.
I do not know names of plastic surgeons in Bangalore but if you wish to get the surgical option done then you may contact any experienced plastic surgeon , and for Laser you may contact any plastic surgeon doing Laser or any dermatologist doing Laser.
I hope i have answered all your queries .If you have any further doubts feel free to post again.If you do not have more questions kindly accept my answer.
God Bless
Dr Mayank Singh

Follow-up: Have syringomas below eyes, growing fast, itching. What is causing it? How to stop growth? 13 hours later
What are the side effects if I go with carbon dioxide laser with trichloroacetic acid application? What are the chances for permanent scarring? What would be the approximate cost? In how much time syringomas start appearing again?
Thanks for posting again on healthcare magic
The combintion of Carbondioxide Laser with TCA 50 % has almost negligible side effects.There are no serious side effects like extensive scarring , infection or change in texture of the skin.The chances of permanent scarring are almost nil depending upon the experience of the plastic surgeon or dermatologist for the Laser settings and passes used.Costs are obviously variable with every surgeon /dermatologist ,approximately it costs around 3000 to 5000 per syringoma .As i have mentioned before this does not eliminate the chances of new syringomas developing so for how much time new will take to appear again cannot be answered.The recurrence after Surgery is almost nil at the same sites .But the other treatments of laser may cause recurrence .The time for the same cannot be commented upon as it depends upon the kind of ablation done and whatever has been left behind for them to regenerate again.I have seen recurrences coming in 3 months to 1 year .
I hope i have answered all your queries .Kindly accept my answer or repost again if you have any further doubts
God Bless
Follow-up: Have syringomas below eyes, growing fast, itching. What is causing it? How to stop growth? 29 hours later
Thanks for answering my queries Dr. XXXXXXX I have few more questions.
I read in one site that rate of recurrence was more after laser treatment. do you agree? What i want to ask id new syringomas will grow at a faster rate after laser when compared to if I dont go for laser? Also no one in family has this problem. So will a medical checkup help me to diagonise like whats wrong with my health which is causing this problem? if yes then which type of medical checkup will help?
Answered by Dr. Mayank Singh 15 minutes later
It is my pleasure to be of any help to you.
Recurrence is definitely higher with laser in comparison to surgical method as in surgical excision we don't leave any remnants for recurrence to occur.It does not mean that by laser therapy new syringomas will increase.That is incorrect as per my experience as well as documentation in literature.
For avoiding recurrence I had advised you to go in for surgery as first choice though it is entirely your decision.
The etiology of the lesion is familial or sporadic.It doesn't have any known cause or investigation which tells us the cause of this.There is nothing wrong with your health so don't worry at all.
I hope I have answered all your queries for now.If you have more doubts kindly post again and if no more questions kindly accept my answer
God Bless