Have symptoms of parkinson's disease. Becoming hypersexual after taking sinemet. What's wrong?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
sinemet, if it is not working and my dad is getting worse, and he is becoming hypersexual to boot, should he be takin off it? He is on 25/100 4X per day and is shaking even worse. The neurologist doesn't even know for sure he has Parkinson's. He keep proprsitioning the nurses at the nursing home. He is 74 years and he has good from walking and going to concerts to wheel chair and bed bound in one year. He does have many of the symptoms of Parkinson's disease, but with the sinemet not helping him, I'm just not sure.
Posted Sat, 2 Mar 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Parkinson's disease is mainly diagnosed by the symptoms and clinical signs. If sinemet is not working for him, then i suggest you to get him evaluated from a second neurologist regarding the treatment. There are other options too available for Parkinson's disease.
Usually it takes 2-3 weeks for the medicine to show a symptomatic improvement. If you feel that his tremors are worsening then you can discuss regarding tapering off the doses of sinemet with his treating neurologist.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.