Have swollen lymph node in neck, severe vaginal discharge and coughing blood with white foam. What could be wrong?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
I am a 24 year old female. For over 2 years now my lymph node in my neck under my jaw has been enlarged. You can see it without touching it. There has not been any pain in or around it. I have had a strange sporadic and random cough. I will have a cough attack that causes chest pain for a long period of time after even though the cough lasts less than a minute most of the time. Nothing triggers it to happen at all and it just seems to randomly come and go. I have been a smoker for ten years at small amounts when i started to half a pack at least a day now. Although ive never coughed while smoking or right after. Almost a year ago my dr did blood work and we did a few antibiotic try outs. No change occured.also my mole was acting weird. It would start to itch a lot and then scab over and fall off and grow back. As of the past 6 months, many other things have taken place. My vaginal discharge has increased severley, my period last sometines for 3 weeks and is very painful. Ive never had cramps before or bled or had discharge like this. My breasts are saggy and one of them has a hard lump that hasnt gone away in over. 4 months and seems to of grown. Also my breast with the lump sometimes lactates. My mouth now has little white patch marks with red dots on my cheeks and tongue and what looks like pimples and cuts on the inside if my cheeks and on my toungue and throat area. My teeth seem to be decaying no matter what i do but i have had absolutely no pain in my mouth at all. It constantly feels as though something is stuck in my throat now and im afraid it might be another lump because it is sonetimtes difficult to swallow even water but no throat pain either. Also My cough has grown significantly worse while still remaining sporadic. I now cough of bloody white foam it looks like and sometimes i gasp for air and it feels as though im being choked. I have almost constant pain in my chest, neck, and shoulders and back area. Headaches that make me sick when i have never had headaches before and lumps/hard bulges on the back of my head with no history of trauma. I have no appetite and when i eat i normally get sick and dizzy and puke. I went over ten days without having a bowl movement and suffered from a disgusting belly button during the time as well. It stunk was red and pussy. Ive lost a significant amount of weight over the past year and been to the hospital on more than a few scary incidences. Only to be perscribed an inhaler which not only does it not help but i know its not asthma or allergies or bronchitis that im suffering from. I sometimes go a few days without coughing only to feel like im dying again. Also when i cough, my body temp raises only during the cough attack. Some days im too tired to even get out of bed or move and will on occasion sleep for over 2 days straight. When normally i dont sleep often. My mole on my face that was having problems previously did not come back this past time about a month ago when it happened again. I also have itchy sores on my upper back, arms and legs that havent healed in over 2 months. Please help me figure out whats wrong. I dont have insurance anymore so i dont know what to do.
Posted Fri, 20 Dec 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 7 hours later
Brief Answer: investigations needed Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. Your history is pointing towards many possible diagnoses. You need to get thoroughly investigated to find out the exact cause of your problem. You once consult physician get examined and go for investigations like: -Chest X ray to find out possible lung pathology. -Sputum culture and sensitivity. -Breast examination, mammography and fine needle aspiration biopsy of the breast lump. -FNAC of the lymph nodes also. -Biopsy from the mole is also needed. -CT scan of the head and neck. -Vaginal swab culture and sensitivity. -Blood investigations to rule out immunodeficiency. By doing all these investigations only the exact cause can be made out and treatment can be planned. As you are having severe symptoms better don't delay. Try to quit smoking. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion. Take care.

Follow-up: Have swollen lymph node in neck, severe vaginal discharge and coughing blood with white foam. What could be wrong? 5 minutes later
i know the types of tests i need. i want to know what could possibly be causing all of this and are they possibly related? i lack insurance and dont know how to get these tests done with oit money

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: secondaries Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. Yes, possibly these are interrelated. Lung pathology can lead to lymphnodal enlargement. If there is any malignant potential, secondaries can spread to distant sites like brain, abdominal organs etc. If the mole or breast lump are also having malignant potential, they can also lead to lymphnodal enlargement and secondaries. Not to frighten you, but better to get investigated. You can consult local hospitals, possibly they may help or suggest a way to get investigations done. Take care.

Follow-up: Have swollen lymph node in neck, severe vaginal discharge and coughing blood with white foam. What could be wrong? 6 minutes later
what could it possibly be

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: better to get investigated Detailed Answer: Hi, As I told previously it is difficult to tell the exact cause without investigating. According to your description the primary pathology is appearing as lung related, but other possibilities are also cannot be ruled out. So better consult local doctor as early as possible and get examined. Take care.

could it be lung cancer or brain tumor or skin cancer can you at least give me some insight please. i have tried going to the hospital and dont know what to do

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 52 minutes later
Brief Answer: chronic bronchitis, tuberculosis Detailed Answer: Hi, According to your age, malignancy is somewhat less possibility but can not be ruled out also. Other possibilities are chronic bronchitis, tuberculosis etc. As your mole is also showing features like growth, itching etc it has also to be investigated. Breast mass also needs biopsy. I can understand your anxiety but without examining we cannot come to one conclusion. So if you are not affordable to all investigations at a time, go one by one. First go for chest X ray and sputum culture and sensitivity. Then depends on the results further management can be planned. Take care.

Follow-up: Have swollen lymph node in neck, severe vaginal discharge and coughing blood with white foam. What could be wrong? 9 minutes later
what about the white patches with red spots in my mouth and the tooth decay. also slight breath oder? and are there any things that can cause my period and disharge to randomly change

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 38 minutes later
Brief Answer: decreased immunity, hormonal imbalance Detailed Answer: Hi, The white patches with red spots could be oral thrush. That may be leading to tooth decay and breath odor. This can be due to decreased immunity. Better to check for viral markers once. General illness, weight changes etc can affect the hormonal levels leading to menstrual irregularity. Decreased immunity can provoke vaginal infections leading to white discharge also. First get treated for main problem, vaginal discharge is secondary. Take care.

Follow-up: Have swollen lymph node in neck, severe vaginal discharge and coughing blood with white foam. What could be wrong? 13 minutes later
if lung cancer were the problem hypothetically... could it of caused all the other issues?

Brief Answer: possibility is there Detailed Answer: Hi, Yes the possibility is there. Lung carcinoma can present with blood stained sputum, cough etc. Secondaries from the carcinoma can spread to lymph nodes, other distant organs etc. Decreased immunity due to malignancy can present with oral thrush etc. But as I told previously, just by symptoms we cannot come to one conclusion, evidence by investigations is needed to confirm. Take care.

Follow-up: Have swollen lymph node in neck, severe vaginal discharge and coughing blood with white foam. What could be wrong? 11 minutes later
i understand that. if it were bronchitus. what are common signs and symptoms? what would the cough be like

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later
Brief Answer: prolonged productive cough Detailed Answer: Hi, The usual signs and symptoms of bronchitis are : -Cough associated with sputum. The sputum can be clear white or yellowish grey or green in color. In severe cases discolored sputum associated with blood can present. -Fatigue -Fever -Chest discomfort, breathlessness, wheezing etc. -Sometimes cough can prolong for weeks. Take care.

Follow-up: Have swollen lymph node in neck, severe vaginal discharge and coughing blood with white foam. What could be wrong? 1 hour later
my cough has been present for 2 years. also i have not had a fever at all. in fact my temp remains lower. i experience coldness to the touch in my arms and lower legs. along with numbness as well

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 17 hours later
Brief Answer: examination and investigations needed Detailed Answer: Hi, Chronic bronchitis is only one of the possibilities in your case. And also all patients with particular disease may not show all described symptoms. After examination and investigations only the exact cause can be made out. Take care.

shady answer

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 44 minutes later
Brief Answer: nerve damage Detailed Answer: Hi, According to your history of cough and blood stained sputum, I mentioned chronic bronchitis as one of the possibility. But after taking detailed history, examining the patient and doing investigations only we can come to one conclusion regarding the exact cause. The common causes of coldness and numbness of the limbs are: - Peripheral neuropathy -Vascular disorder, connective tissue disorder -Hypothyroidism -Vitamin deficiency etc. Nerve damage due to tobacco can cause these symptoms. Take care.

Follow-up: Have swollen lymph node in neck, severe vaginal discharge and coughing blood with white foam. What could be wrong? 12 minutes later
ok ill ask another dr.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 3 minutes later
Brief Answer: take care Detailed Answer: Hi, Ok, take care.