Have swollen lymph in jaw. Prescribed zithromax. Is that enough?

I have swollen lymph in jaw. The doctor gave me three 500mg zithromax. Is that enough? I thouht it had to be five pills? And is zithromax the right way to a cure?
Posted Sat, 6 Jul 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query.

I am Dr. Ditah and happy for this opportunity to be assisting you with your health questions today.

1. 3tablets of zithromax 500mg tablets are sufficient for the full course treatment of a standard 7-10days antibiotics treatment in an adult. If the diagnosis is correct and the germ is sensitive to azithromycin, then this is sufficient. It stays in the system for up to 7-10days after use in sufficient levels to continue the antibacterial activity. This is why a 3days course is often deemed as appropriate for an infection that requires this number of days.

2. Swollen lymph nodes in the jaw often results from an infection in the ear, nose or throat which drains into these lymph nodes. Azithromycin is a good drug in treating ear, nose and throat infections. I think this is her/his thought as of now after his full assessment of the swollen lymph nodes. If these lymph nodes should fail to regress after this empiric antibiotic treatment, then s/he may want to do some more specific investigations to understand better.

Other possible causes of this condition could be drugs, cancers, HIV, idiopathic,(no cause) etc, But you have not provided any information that may make me think of them. These are not possibilities to be considered now.

I hope this answers your question.
Please feel free to come back if you need more information.
Wish you good health.
Dr. Ditah