Ask a Dentist   »  

Have swollen gums after wisdom teeth removal. What is the cure?

Hi my right wisdom tooth was removed 3 weeks ago. When I saw the oral surgeon that day I had an infection that's why it was hurting a lot. The gum was swollen. He said that my wisdom tooth needed to be taken out right away. So he gave me antibiotics and on the same day the tooth was taken out. Now after 3 weeks already, the stitches have been taken out about 2 weeks ago. But after eating, there is always food getting stuck in there. I need to floss it out. The food is not stuck in the gum but rather, somewhere between my gum and my jaw. Seems like there is a gap there? Or is it because of the unevenness of the surface of my skin due to the surgery ? What should I do ? Do you think I should get it restitched?
Posted Tue, 10 Dec 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: Bony spicule or tissue growth could be present. Detailed Answer: Hello There, Welcome to the forum, I would like to tell you that the wound healing after wisdom tooth extraction takes 1 month to heal, but complete wound healing takes 3 months. This area is often difficult to clean and often invites bacterial infection, so i would advise you to gargle after every meal, avoid eating from that side and take lukewarm saline and antiseptic mouthwash rinses. Also visit to the concerned Dentist and get an x-ray done of the region probably there could be presence of some bony spicules roughness in the bone or tissue growth which could be easily removed by him.If there is any spicule or roughness in the region it could be trimmed and restitched by your Dentist, any tissue growth can be removed surgically. Also look for the second molar in the region for presence of any caries food lodgement can also be because of it. Hope you find this as informative and helpful, If you have any other queries feel free to ask! Take care! Dr Qazi Ammara.
Follow-up: Have swollen gums after wisdom teeth removal. What is the cure? 16 minutes later
Hi. What is the second molar region?
Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 40 minutes later
Brief Answer: Last tooth before wisdom tooth Detailed Answer: Welcome back, It is the last tooth in the region before your wisdom tooth. There could probably infection in the region causing food lodgement, you require an IOPA x-ray of the region which would give you the exact idea regarding your problem. Hope this answer your query, Take care! Dr Qazi Ammara.