Have swollen feet and ankles, applying ibuprofen. Have high BP and taking fledopine and atenol. Suggest?

Hello Dr
I have swollen feet and ankles for about 2 weeks now
Have been elavating legs and applying ibuprofen gel to them
I do have High Blood Pressure
Taking medication - 10mg Felodipine with water tablets Bendrofluethiazide 2ยท5mg Mornings
and Atenolol 25mg Evening time
To relief the swelling , taken a water tablet last night appear to have kept the swelling down
After a nights sleep the swelling usually comes back again not this time so far
Work consist of standing on feet for 10 hours, 5 days a week
A lunch break of 1hour
Posted Mon, 19 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Uncontrolled high blood pressure over a long period of time results in weakening of heart muscles resulting in insufficient capacity of heart to pump blood in the body.
This reduced capacity results in in efficient circulation of blood resulting in congestion and collection of fluids in the tissues of body.
Since a person is upright through out the day,this fluid collection becomes more prominent and apparent in ankles and lower feet.
This weakening of heart muscles is called as heart failure and can be either left sided heart failure or right sided heart failure.
You must consult a cardiologist immediately and get yourself investigated thoroughly by getting blood tests,BNP test,ECG,and echocardiogram.
Ibuprofen gel local application won't have any effect on swelling of legs.
Besides heart failure,other causes like anaemia with hypoprotenemia,liver conditions,kidney conditions can also cause swelling in ankles.
A proper diagnosis of the cause will pave the way for proper treatment.
I hope it helps.
Best of luck
Follow-up: Have swollen feet and ankles, applying ibuprofen. Have high BP and taking fledopine and atenol. Suggest? 17 hours later
Dr Thank you for your reply
I've noticed that sitting down also slows down circulation
Does exercising help the circulation - eg swimming

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 9 minutes later
Swelling occurring in ankles is called as dependent oedema.This means whenever your feet are dependent,which means whenever they are lower than your body like as in standing or even sitting with your feet down,results in collection of fluid in lower legs.This is reason you feel more swelling in feet at the end of day and this swelling goes away in the morning because you have been sleeping in the night and your feet are at the level of your head in night.
Since normally you don't find swelling in ankles,it becomes very important to find the exact cause of your swelling and treat it.
Exercises do help in increased circulation but in present context it has no meaning.
At present finding the cause for swelling is important.