Have swollen and painful foot after a hit. Could I ask a doctor?

I hit the side of my foot with a piece of timber 4 days ago I can walk fine but my foot is really swollen and very painful to touch the spot is half way between my toe to ankle and to the the side but slightly on top of my foot, could I have chipped a bone?
Posted Thu, 12 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: it is possible Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX, Yes, it is possible that you could have chipped a bone. I understand from your query that there is swelling and pain. Is there a visible wound or pus discharge? Did a piece of timber get inside your foot? In such a case an in-dwelling infection is possible causing the swelling and pain. If there is no such thing like visible external wound, then we may have to think of a chipped bone. An x-ray of the affected region in the foot can confirm this. Get well soon. Regards,
Follow-up: Have swollen and painful foot after a hit. Could I ask a doctor? 2 minutes later
Thanks heaps just wondering If it is chipped is there anything to do other than rest and ice it?
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: immobilization required too Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX, If there is a chipped bone, immobilization in the form of plaster of paris cast, or splinting would be required. Ice and rest are initial and important management measures. Also, take simple anti-inflammatory drugs like Panadol or Motrin for relief from pain and swelling I suggest you to go ahead with the x-ray of the affected part, and proceed accordingly.