Have swelling on leg with elevated uric acid level. How to reduce this?

Hello Doctor,
I have to consult regarding my father i am from India Bhopal (M.P) my father Mr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX his uric acid are 7.6 and his left leg fingure portion are swelling and he is not able to take a walk the 8 year`s before the same problem are happen.....
Posted Thu, 11 Apr 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 30 minutes later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

The description is typical of GOUT.
It is caused by precipitation of uric acid crystals.

The rescue treatment (during the attack) is to take anti-inflammatory agents - usually colchicine / or other Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drugs (NSAID) / or Steroids
Then for prophylaxis, drugs like Allopurinol or Febuxostat - to reduce the uric acid - are given on long term basis..-

You must see your Internist for examination and appropriate prescription.
Also he will check your BP medicines - diuretics like thiazide can worsen this...

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck