Have swelling in throat symptom, feel light headed and choking feeling. What to do?

I have the golf ball in the throat annoying. Makes me feel light headed as well...choking feeling. What should I do at this point as I will be heading out of town tomorrow & will be headed to the doctor next week....this feeling is scary! HELP!
Posted Wed, 28 Aug 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Hello and welcome.

The golf ball like swelling symptom that you are experiencing is most probably your swollen/inflamed tonsil seen in an doctor and get either a sputum analysis or a throat swab to find the infection-causing organism, and accordingly be treated for the same.

But, I understand you have a busy schedule which is why I would advice you to take lukewarm sips of water mixed with salt through the day; purchase an over-the-counter throat disinfectant and gargle your mouth 3-4 times a day; and also purchase a medication (eg. acetylsalicylic acid effervescent tablets dissolved in lukewarm water, gargle and spit out, 3 times a day) which will take care of local pain and swelling and provide temporary relief till you can see a doctor. Do not worry, I am sure this is just a simple infection, and will be effectively treated once you visit the doctor.

Wishing you a safe journey and a speedy recovery.

Best wishes.