Have swelling between spine and shoulder blade. Using ultrasound massage. Why is pain and swelling there?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014
Excellent

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
I have swelling between spine and shoulder blade on the r. side. The pain..Sometimes is big sometimes less or no pain in one lucky day...I use ultrasound massage at home and some soft stretch work out (with the bole). Little improvement. I have Swelling on my r. ankle and an infection in the middle r. foot toe nail. I put Peroxide and remove white part of nail and I have little hole in the nail. THIS IS EVERYTHING ON THE RIGTH SIDE OF THE BODY. Are these two problems related?
I have spinal stenos is c6-c7 and protrusion T4..but fixed relatively...My osteopat said that is mussel problem swelling and presses the nerve. But why is swelling?
Why Is pain and swelling here? XXXXXXX test negative.
Posted Sun, 4 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 9 hours later

These two problem may not to be related with each other. These two entities are different.

Your back pain between spine and shoulder blade on right side might be due to spinal stenosis atc6-c7 and disc protrusion at T4. The swelling between them needs a proper examination to understand the characteristics of it. It could be a bony outgrowth or muscular in origin. Meanwhile you can continue the Ultrasonic therapy.

Swelling over ankle seems due to inflammatory, infective or systemic cause.

I suggest you to consult an Orthopedic Surgeon nearby for a detailed examination. You may get some blood investigation like complete blood count, serum uric acid, Blood sugar level, Erythro sedimentation rate(ESR),C-reactive protein (CRP) under his/her guidance.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have swelling between spine and shoulder blade. Using ultrasound massage. Why is pain and swelling there? 12 hours later
I tried to take a segment from y MRI ( one out of a few). Would you mine to look at better...Any comment? Advise based on the what I attached?
Here in Canada is not posible te get one specialist very easy...if you get lucky that family doctor send you the waiting time is 18 mon.
Thank you so much.

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 5 hours later

Thanks for following up.

I am gone through the MRI films attached by you. There seems to be some narrowing of lower cervical canal and disc bulge at thoracic (T3-T4) level.

There are some factors that contribute to the development of a thoracic disc bulge. They are:
- Poor core stability
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Being overweight
- Muscle tightness
- Muscle weakness
- Joint stiffness
- Poor lifting technique
- Poor posture
- Lifestyle involving large amounts of sitting, bending or lifting.
These need to be assessed and corrected with direction from the treating physiotherapist.

I understand your concern. Physiotherapy is vital to hasten the healing process and ensure an optimal outcome. The physiotherapy treatment may comprise:
1. Soft tissue massage
2. Electrotherapy (e.g. ultrasound)
3. Exercises to push the disc back 'in' and to improve strength, core stability and flexibility.

In addition the above, reducing weight, correcting posture and avoiding prolong sitting / forward bending / lifting heavy weight are advisable

Wishing you good health...