Have swelling around collarbone. It is tender to touch and having fever. What is causing this?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have swelling aroung my collarbone that is visible. It is tender to touch and have been dealing with a slight fever.. What could this be.
Posted Mon, 29 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 49 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query

This could be a swollen lymph node, boil, cyst or a tumor. A swollen lymph node could arise most commonly from some infection.
In all probability, the lump is due to an infection and we would need to give oral antibiotics.

To know the exact cause, examination of lump is required. We would also need to run some tests like a complete blood count, and Fine needle aspiration cytology(FNAC) may be required. It is only then that we would know the exact cause of the swelling.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have more concerns.