Have swelling and getting burning pain from maxillary sinus infection. Proper medication?

ENT Specialist
What can I use to stop the swelling burning pain from my maxillary sinus infection. The doctor put me on amoxicillin but the swelling is burning and itching. I took my first dose 4 hrs ago and fell asleep but woke up to the stinging burning itchy gum and cheek pain.
Posted Sat, 22 Dec 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 36 minutes later

Thanks for posting the query

You seem to be suffering from acute sinusitis. Sinusitis is the infection and inflammation of the paranasal sinuses secondary to the blocked sinuses.

With plain amoxycillin, the sinusitis will not get relieved. You will require an antibiotic with combination of amoxycillin and clavulanic acid or cefuroxime. Apart from that you will also require other medications such as:
1. A mucolytic such as ambroxol or bromhexine
2. A pain reliever such as ibuprofen or diclofenac
3. Saline nasal spray followed by steam inhalation
4. Drink plenty of warm water
5. Avoid coffee/chilled beverages/smoking or alcohol if any

Hope with the above medications you will be alight. If you have any further queries, you are welcome.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon